A Quick Review of Sochi Olympics 2014
Russian Federation hosted its first Olympics game in February 2014. Sochi Olympics 2014 was named on the host city of Sochi as 'Sochi Winter Olympics'.
The city of Sochi has been one of the main tourist attractions in Russia for a very long time. The city shares the coast of Black sea. Its famous skiing resorts of Krasnaya Polyana and Sochi Olympic Park were the main destinations to conduct this event.
Facts about Sochi Olympics 2014
Sochi Olympics 2014 was one of the most fabulous and high-profile, international event held in Russia this year. Quick facts and figures of Sochi Olympics are here to give you an overview of the event.
- International Olympic Committee designated Russia to host this event in 2007.
- The opening ceremony of Sochi Olympics was held on the eve of 6th February.
- President of Russian Federation, Mr. Vladimir Putin formally opened the event.
- The ceremony of Sochi olympics 2014 was conducted in the Fisht Olympic Stadium. Fisht is an open air stadium with the seating capacity of 40000 viewers for Olympics.
- The games sessions began on 7th February 2014.
- 88 countries from every corner of the world participated.
- 2,873 participants in 98 sports events of Sochi Olympics 2014.
- Russian Federation topped the medal counter by the total of 33 medal . Norway was ranked at second place by 26 medals and Canada at third by 25 total medals.
- The ceremony was formally ended on 23rd February.
- Sochi olympics 2014 was the most expensive event in Olympics history of world. Record of 51 US Billion Dollars were spent on the preparations of this event in seven years.
- Coco Cola Atos, McDonald’s, Samsung , Proctor and Gamble were the main sponsors of the event.
- The leopard, polar bear and hare were the official mascots of the XXII Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.
- Special gold medals were given on February 15. The medal was made with the slices of the meteorite, that fell in Chelyabinsk on February 15, 2013.
- 53 thousand people worked for the Olympics. 25 thousands were volunteers in them.
- 214,6 billion Russian Rubles were directed on construction of Olympic objects and the infrastructure.
- Each medal for Sochi olympics 2014 weighed from 460 to 531 grams. It took 18 hours for the production of each medal.
- Olympic flame covered record distance on the way to Sochi. It was 65 000 km.
- Sochi became one of the warmest welcoming cities during the Winter Olympic Games.
Major Outcomes of Sochi Olympics 2014
The event was one of its own kind and brought international fame to the famous sports resort city of Russia. The event high boosted the services and tourism sector of Russia. This has created many work opportunities for millions of local community. The city infrastructure was highly developed to meet international standards of technology, information systems, and construction projects.
The event of Sochi Olympics 2014 has opened avenues for a number of international sports events for Sochi.
Lined up next, Russian Grand Prix 2014 is the coming main event for Sochi. The Sochi Olympic Park is now being converted into Sochi International Street circuit. The 6 Kilometer track is constructed to make it a racing arena.
Russia would also be hosting the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup and 2018 FIFA World Cup in the same stadium.So for sports lovers, Russia is becoming one of the main sports hubs of Eurasia!